Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Betta Fish Bowl

I've said before that I'm no expert when it comes to fish.  My history with them seems to resemble a Hitchcock film more than anything else.  Never the less I decided to fill my betta bowl again.  I have had more luck with betta fish than any other type, so I thought I'd give it one more go.

This time I decided that I would try the fish bowl as a planter idea.  Here is where I'll put my disclaimer about keeping my betta fish happy and healthy.  I am aware of the special needs of betta fish.  They are carnivorous and I would never expect a betta to live off of eating the roots of the plants. He is fed at least twice daily with a food formulated for betta fish and is also often offered  freeze dried blood worms and other sources of protein.  I'm also aware that the plant has filtering capabilities, but have no intention of letting that replace daily water changes.  Betta fish are surface breathers so I made sure that the plastic holding the plant in place had plenty of breathing holes and is set up above the water line so that he can breath easy.

I did some research to find the best plants to use, which include the peace lily, philodendron, and dieffenbachia.  Although I already have a philodendron, I stopped at my local garden center and picked up a peace lily (any excuse for a new plant).



Through the research I found the basics of growing the plant hydroponically and how to propagate as well.  I took my new peace lily and tried to remove as much dirt as possible.



This was more of a chore than I bargained for.  First off the plant was root bound, the soil was so densely packed in the roots almost none of the dirt came out.  I ran water through the root ball and I soaked if for more than a day. I tried to get the dirt out every few hours during the soaking by squeezing the roots and swishing them around in water.  Then I decided to divide the plant as my only other option to get the soil out of the center of the roots.



I used the information that I had gained through internet resources and separated the crowns, trying to keep as much root attached to the newly separated plant.  I divided it into three plants, one I put in dirt, one I put in stone aggregate to grow hydroponically and the other went into the fish bowl.




The fish has been living with the plant harmoniously for more than 72 hours and both seem happy and healthy, however I did read that the peace lily make take up to a month to fully acclimate to its new watery environment.


This is Duke, my new fishy friend


I haven't had to trim the roots yet, but I know that will have to be done to give him enough room to swim around.

2 comments:

  1. that looks good and your fish is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it. It is a great website and nice share. I want to thank you. Good job! You guys do a great blog, and have some great contents. Keep up the good work. helpusfish.com

    ReplyDelete