Monday, September 12, 2011

Where did all these bugs come from

Not only do I seem to have quite a plant collection, but I also seem to have quite the pest collection as well.  Along with the fungus gnats that inevitably come with plants (esp. Fittonias), I have also discovered spider mites and mealy bugs.

While fungus gnats are annoying as they try to fly up your nose or when you can't leave a water glass out without collecting carcases, they are really nothing more that a nuisance (and spider attractant).  From what I've read about spider mites and mealy bugs, they can actually take a toll on the plants health and well being.

So I'm wondering where they all came from?  I have a couple of newly acquired plants, but none of them seem to be affected by either foe.  There was also a couple of amaryllis that had been living outside and are now inside, but these also seem to be unaffected by the pests; however, I suppose that the bugs could have hitched a ride on any one of these plants and just found other plants in my collection to be more desirable.

Anyways, through this little glitch in my apartment garden I have discovered the wonderful things everyday household items can do.

1st ~ a mixture of dish soap and water sprayed onto the plants and the soil has pretty much eliminated the spider mites, although according to a lot of the sources I read a reapplication or two will be necessary to kill the eggs that hatch later on.  I was amazed that when I sprayed all my plants with this at night and by the next morning only a couple little bugs could be seen.

2nd ~ rubbing alcohol dabbed onto the fuzzy looking mealy bugs with a cotton swab killed them and they could be easily removed.

No comments:

Post a Comment