Tuesday, September 6, 2011

New Edition to the Apartment Jungle

 A very large chunk of the year I live where I can only by plants at Wal-mart or Lowes, and while I can find some plants I like at those places (I have my eye on a white bird of paradise currently stocked at Wal-mart), there are very few plants that I find captivating, that I don't already have.  So when I go to visit my parents (who live where there are actual greenhouses) I like to stop by and see if there's anything that I absolutely must have.

To my surprise the greenhouse that I stopped at had a plant that I had been thinking about for a while, a vanilla orchid.  I had been researching how to keep my orchid happy (it's still working on its flower stalk) and I stumbled upon vanilla orchids.  I researched them and decided that I would like to try to grow one if I ever had the luck to find one.



The vine is still quite small and therefore it wont bloom for a couple years at least, but it seems to be pretty happy with me so far (its had several inches of new growth).  I am definitely looking forward to having some homegrown vanilla beans :)


No comments:

Post a Comment