Saturday, June 4, 2011

My Green Roommates

I suppose since I talk about how much I love my house plants, it's time for their introductions.  I've decided that this post will only be about my established plants and I'll leave my cuttings, experiments and tiny babies for another blog.

 
This here is Rex, he's one of my favorites.  I've had him for more than 2 years and last fall he even bloomed for me.  He's a favorite because begonias are suppose to be very difficult plants to grow, but as you can see from the picture he's a very happy camper -Yeah I'm awesome.



This is Humphrey, I have no idea what kind of a plant he is.  I bought him several years ago and didn't bother keeping the tag or committing it to memory.  Despite not knowing what he is, he seems to be doing fine.
 
Fittonia. Here's my mosaic plant. Unfortunately I've let her faint a few too many times so she's a little more scraggly than she should be.  

Gerbera Daisy.  I cut off the full bloom and stuck it in a vase (the next picture show the color of the bloom).  I currently have 5 small blooms popping up.  She's also my newest edition to my plant collection, my local hardware store had them for sale in the garden center...Just another reason to love spring.

This picture shows the color of my Gerbera Daisy flowers.  I also put some purple velvet cuttings in the vase as well to add a little bit of depth and keep the daisy from falling in the water.


 This is one of my purple velvet plants, I have quit a few because it grow quickly and rooting the cuttings is a cinch.  Unfortunately this one has some bug issues so it might not last long.

No plant collection would be complete without a spider plant or 7.  I have been given many baby spider plants recently and this is so far the biggest and best looking.  I can't wait to have little baby spiders for myself.
 
Cuban Oregano. Unfortunately he's not doing so hot.  I always research how to take care of my plants so I can give them the best life possible, but this is a hard plant to find out how to care for and it shows.
  
 My very 1st cactus.  I'd always had a fear of cactuses, not because of the spines and fear of impalement, but because there are some desert tarantulas that lay their eggs in cacti and then the babies hatch out in these huge swarms of tiny spiders. I was always afraid that I'd buy a cactus and there would be tarantula eggs in it.  I think needless to say, there were no tarantula eggs in my cactus unless it takes them more than 3 years to hatch.

My very lame orchid.  It hasn't bloomed since i bought it several years ago.  The leaves are still growing and green, but I think my apartment is just too cold for it to bloom. 


I have no idea what kind of succulent this is, but I like it...I reminds me of a flower.














 Philodendron..or at least the remnants of my philodendron that was brutally murdered by fungus gnats.  I was able to take some cuttings before the plant totally died, I rooted them and planted them up so my plant lives on.
 
The philodendron cuttings that are still in water















 I love my snake plant, it's pretty and requires not much light and little water...so easy.



My Ponytail Palm is probably my most neglected plant, but I think he likes it that way.


















I'm not sure what this is, I thought it was a snake plant, but then it didn't get very tall at all.








3 comments:

  1. Hi! I saw you were following PATSP; I hope you don't mind if I make some comments.

    1. I'm about 90% sure that Humphrey is an Ardisia elliptica.

    2. Whatever you're doing with Rex, don't stop. I'm very impressed.

    3. Your unidentified succulent is probably an Echeveria of some kind, though I don't know which one, or how to find out which one. (There are lots.)

    4. The fungus gnats probably didn't kill your Philodendron; overwatering probably did. (Fungus gnats are more a symptom than a problem, except when it comes to very young seedlings: they just can't eat that much.) Philodendrons like to be a little wetter than pothos, but personally I find that mine do better if I let them get fairly dry before watering again. Does the pot they're in have drainage holes? 'Cause if it doesn't, it'd be very difficult not to overwater.

    5. The last picture is in fact a snake plant. There are a lot of different varieties of them now. Some get about 3-4 feet (0.9-1.2 m) tall, others only about 8 inches (20 cm).

    ReplyDelete
  2. @mr_subjunctive

    I don't mind comments at all, I'm still very new at taking care of houseplants and could use all the help I can get. I try to do my internet research, but it's tough when different sites say opposing things.

    Thanks very much for your help, it is in fact much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool plant collection. I'm especially a fan of your philodendron and purple passion plant.

    ReplyDelete